Tuesday, November 29, 2011

A Princess of Mars Art Order Challenge (Final)



I said I wouldn't work on this anymore, but I didn't want to put all of that effort to waste so I finished it up as best as I could within the timeframe I had.  This piece was especially tough for me.  I don't know if it's just the scope of the piece, or if it's because I haven't done enough vehicle or environment designs yet, but I struggled with this piece throughout the process.  There were days that I was putting off working on it by doing anything else I could think of, which is obviously not healthy.  If I ever do figure it out I'll let you guys know.

In any case, I added colors using two "soft light" layers on top of each other and also used Jason Chan's cheat of copying the final art as a layer, blurring it, then erasing (in the blurred layer) all the parts that you want to stay in focus.  In this case I wanted to blur out the city in the background and really focus on the lead ship and the characters in the foreground.  I think the effect works and it's a good cheat to use every now and again to salvage a weak piece.

Check out WIPnation to see the other contest entrants (click on teh "ao princess" tag to bring them up)!

No comments:

Post a Comment